Friday, October 16, 2009

Oink Oink

Where to begin....this morning I woke up to Waylon in bed with me saying "Mommy tummy hurt!" It still blows my mind that he can tell me whats wrong in more than one word! Anyway, things just seemed to go downhill from there. He had a 103.6 temp and wouldn't eat or drink. So I called the doctor and she said she'd see him at noon. My mom is visiting so we packed up the kids and away we went. At the doctors Waylon sat in my lap and didn't move much. He really looked bad. The doctor said to keep fluids in him and to keep an eye on him but didn't think it was H1N1. on the way home I stopped and got Gatorade and Motrin which instantly brought his fever down and he was/is drinking fluids very well. Around 5 our doctor calls and says there had been a few cases of the swine flu diagnosed at Marquette hospital from the area and she wants everyone to take a preventative round of tamaflu including Sammi. By this time Waylon's playing a bit and eating and drinking. Scared I went and picked up the scrips. Reading the accompanying pamphlet I discover the medicine is approved for anyone over 1 years. Nothing can be simple. I had discovered there is no black and white when it comes to medicine more like shades of grey. Needless to say I am utterly torn on what to do. I have googled tamaflu and there are some horrific side effects that I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to let alone my 4 month old. Plus as soon as anyone hears H1N1 it's like you have the plague. I swear the pharmacist wanted to get off the phone with me asap. Fast forward to now...here I am with my two youngest sleeping in bed with me while my husband is at work. Waylon really seems fine but I'll have to re-evaluate in the morning and decide whether or not to give him the meds. I pray it's nothing just an overreaction! And then there's my mom, my poor mom...I don't want to have to send her home with a "I visited the UP and all I got was the swine flu" shirt. What a vacation, eh? Sorry mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment